Regulations for RevisionMate discussion forums
The purpose of the discussion forums is for students to post questions to fellow students on topics that are causing difficulty.
Users of the discussion forums are not permitted to:
1. advertise, share, sell or discuss the products or services of providers other than the CII;
facilitate the sharing or selling of products or services of providers other than the CII;
3. share or sell CII products including but not limited to mock exam papers, past exam papers and second hand books;
4. facilitate the sharing or selling of CII products including but not limited to mock exam papers, past exam papers and second hand books.
More information on these regulations is included in the terms and conditions for the RevisionMate website below.
Failure to comply with the above regulations and the terms and conditions below may result in you being unable to comment on the forums, your post being taken down and in more serious cases, disciplinary action being taken against you by the CII.
Terms and conditions
The Chartered Insurance Institute - Terms and Conditions of Use of RevisionMate Web Site
Please read this carefully as it affects your legal rights and sets out the terms and conditions on which we, The Chartered Insurance Institute ("us", "we", "CII", "Chartered Insurance Institute"), will allow registered users to use this RevisionMate web site (the "Web Site) and the information contained within it. The Web Site is offered to you conditional on your agreement with these terms and conditions and your continued use of it signifies agreement with them in their entirety.
Limitation of Liability and Disclaimers
1. We do our best to ensure that the information in the Web Site is accurate and helpful at all times. However, we cannot ultimately warrant the accuracy of that information and cannot be held liable for any use or reliance you may make of or put on it except as specifically agreed with us in any further agreement we may make with you in writing.
2. The information provided is general in nature, and is not intended as expert advice, or as a guide to insurance, risk or financial services for consumers or meant to substitute for advice provided by a Financial Adviser or other suitably qualified professional. You are advised to consult with a Financial Adviser or other suitably qualified professional and to check product information for full details, changes and new information regarding any insurance or financial services product. No claims or endorsements are made for any insurance or financial services product and the editor and publisher disclaim liability for the accuracy of the information contained therein or any consequences of any use or misuse of it to the fullest extent permitted by law. You will indemnify CII against any and all claims, damages, losses, liabilities and costs arising from and in connection with your use and/or abuse of the Web Site or user's breach of these Conditions.
3. Any link (be it a hypertext link or other referral device) used on the Web Site (including any Restricted area) is provided solely for the use and convenience of the visitor. The link does not represent any endorsement or recommendation by us and does not mean that we have any association with the linked web site. We are not responsible for the content of any web sites that have links either to or from the Web Site or for the legal consequences of your entering into any contracts with the third parties that have these linked web sites and we do not accept any liability for any loss, damage, expense, costs or liability whatsoever incurred by you as a result.
4. We will not be liable for any loss, damage, expense, costs, delays or other liability whatsoever (including without limitation any financial losses such as loss of profit) which you may incur as a result of any event beyond our reasonable control (including without limitation any failure of transmission, communication, computer or other facilities or your inability to access the Web Site for any reason or any failure, error or delay in the sending or receiving of any notice or communication or instruction through the post or any electronic medium).
5. Access to and use of the Web Site is at your own risk and we do not warrant that the use of the Web Site or any material downloaded from it will not cause damage to any property, including but not limited to loss of data or computer virus infection.
6. Nothing within these conditions operates so as to exclude, limit or restrict our liability for death or personal injury.
7. Where you deal as a consumer, nothing in the above exclusions affects your statutory rights.
Intellectual Property Rights
8. All Intellectual Property Rights and goodwill in or relating to the contents of the Web Site belong to either ourselves or to our suppliers.
9. In particular, the CII asserts its ownership of the trade marks displayed in relation to names, exams, qualifications and exam titles (many of which are registered) and nothing contained in these conditions or the Web Site should be construed as granting by implication, estoppel, or otherwise, any licence or right to use any of the trade marks without our permission. However, copying and printing of those web pages which contain the trade marks is permitted within the scope of the licence contained at "Your use of the Web Site" below.
Your use of the Web Site
10. You may download to a local hard disk and print extracts from the Web Site solely for personal use.
11. You may not reproduce part or all of the contents of the Web Site in any form unless it is for personal use.
12. You may not copy or otherwise incorporate into or store in any other web site, electronic retrieval system, publication or other work any of the content of the Web Site in any form (whether hard copy, electronic or other).
13. You may not frame or link to the Web Site or any part of it without our express permission.
14. Where you have the opportunity to add or post content to the Web Site (including any Restricted area of the Web Site) you must only do so to send messages and material that are proper and appropriate to it and you shall not do any of the following:
(a) defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy or intellectual property rights where applicable) of others;
(b) publish, post, distribute or disseminate any material which is obscene, indecent or unlawful or attacks individuals or groups;
(c) advertise or offer to sell any goods or services, or conduct or forward surveys, contests, or chain letters
(d) upload files that contain software or other material protected by intellectual property laws (or by rights of confidentiality or privacy of publicity, where applicable) unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consents;
(e) upload files that contain viruses, corrupted files, or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of our or another's computer;
(f) upload files which contain an active hypertext link to another web site;
(g) delete any author attributions, legal notices or proprietary designations or labels in any file that is uploaded;
(h) falsify the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is uploaded;
(i) download any file posted by another user of the Community Area that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally distributed in such manner.
(j) You are solely responsible in all respects for all use of and protecting the confidentiality of any password given to you or selected by you for use on the Web Site. Such Password may only be used by you personally and you may not share these with or transfer them to any third parties. You must notify CII immediately of any unauthorised use of the Details or any other breach of security regarding the Site which comes to your attention.
15. We shall be entitled at any time to delete, remove or suspend the whole or any part of any content which Users add or post to the Web Site without notice and without incurring any liability.
Purchasing Goods and Services
16. We offer the opportunity to purchase certain goods and services on the Web Site, including application, registration and payment for examinations and courses. Please review all of the information which you intend to submit before you make payment. By submitting this information you confirm that all of it is accurate, true and complete.
17. If we accept your offer and agree to enter into a contract with you, we will keep a record of the transaction for a period of 6 years.
18. The Price means the relevant price for the goods or services which you are offering to purchase. Prices quoted on our website are in pounds sterling, and include VAT and where relevant, delivery charges. Delivery charges are for standard rate surface mail delivery only. Expedited deliveries may incur additional charges which will be agreed in advance between you and us.
Payment and Title
19. When you offer to purchase any goods or services from us on the Web Site, by clicking the 'Submit' button you agree to these terms and conditions. By completing and submitting the electronic order form you are making an offer to purchase goods or services which, if accepted by us, will result in a binding contract. We reserve the right to refuse your order and in which case you will be notified accordingly.
20. The Price may be paid by credit or charge/debit card. The Price will be deducted from your card if and when we have accepted your order. If your order is not accepted by us we will inform you.
Cancellation and Termination
21. In accordance with The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 you have a right of cancellation in respect of Products and Services, which right shall (subject to the Regulations) expire seven working days from the day after the date on which either the products are received by you or your order for services is accepted by the CII. Should you wish to cancel, notice should be sent to CII Customer Service (firstname.lastname@example.org). Where products have been supplied to you prior to such cancellation they must be returned to us, in the condition in which they were supplied to you, at your expense. Reimbursement for any monies paid by you which relate to the cancellation will be sent to you within 30 days of receiving the notice of cancellation or if products are to be returned to us, within 30 days of their receipt.
22. Examinations and courses are subject to cancellation and re-scheduling at our discretion. If an examination or course is cancelled or re-scheduled we will inform you of this as soon as possible. If an examination is cancelled we will offer you a place on an alternative examination or course. If this alternative examination or course is not suitable you will be given the option to cancel the contract, and we will credit the Price paid by you to your card as soon as possible. We shall not be liable for any additional loss or damage.
23. We may (at our option) suspend performance of the services or terminate the contract at any stage if it appears to us that you have not complied with these Conditions.
24. We reserve the right to cancel, suspend or vary the operation of our obligations to you if events occur which are in the nature of force majeure including (but without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing) fire, flood, storms, plant breakdown, strikes, lock outs, riot, hostilities, non-availability of material or suppliers or any other event outside our control; and we shall not be held liable for any breach of contract or in tort including delict resulting from such an event.
Warranties and Liability
25. We will perform any services with reasonable skill and care. Except as otherwise provided in these Conditions, and except where goods or services are sold to a person dealing as a consumer (within the meaning of the Unfair Contract Conditions Act 1977), all warranties, representations and undertakings, whether express or implied, statutory or otherwise, including but not limited to warranties of satisfactory quality, accuracy, fitness for a particular purpose and of non-infringement of the rights of a third party, are hereby excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Where goods or services are sold to a person dealing as a consumer, nothing in these Conditions shall affect his or her statutory rights.
26. Our liability (if any) under these Conditions in respect of any defect in the goods or services or of any duty owed to you under the Conditions will be limited to the Price paid by you or if higher the amount available under any responding insurance policy.
27. The above limitations do not apply in the case of death or injury to any person,.
28. We will use our best endeavours to safeguard the privacy of our users. Our data processing practices are explained below.
What Do We Use Personal Information For?
29. We may disclose your information, if required to do so by any legal or regulatory body. We may share your information with carefully selected third parties. We or they may contact you by mail, telephone, fax or e-mail to let you know about any goods, services or promotions which may be of interest to you. We will never sell your personal data to third parties and will assume that you consent to us sharing your data in this way unless you notify us to the contrary email@example.com.
You have a right to ask for a copy of your information and to correct any inaccuracies. To make sure we follow your instructions correctly and to improve our service to you through training of our staff, we may monitor or record communications
Information To Improve Our Site
30. We collect information automatically about your visit to our site. This information is used to help us follow browsing preferences on our site so that we can regularly improve our service.
32. We reserve the right to change the terms and conditions under which the Web Site is offered at any time. Any such change in terms and conditions will be effective once reflected in the text of these terms and conditions and published on this web page. You should check the terms and conditions periodically to ensure that you are aware of and complying with the current version.
33. The interpretation, construction, effect and enforceability of this agreement shall be governed by English Law, and you and we agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts for the determination of disputes.
34. The CII carries its equal opportunities policy through to cover all the exams it administers. Provisions are made for candidates who are disabled, this may include dyslexic, blind, partially sighted or those with dexterity impediments.
If you are disabled or have a condition which you believe should be taken into consideration in assessing your exam performance, you should apply in writing, enclosing medical evidence such as a doctor’s letter. Applications without medical evidence will not be considered.
Your application should preferably accompany your exam entry. The CII will hold your medical evidence on file, but you must send in a written request for provision to be made/consideration given before each subsequent exam you enter.
35. If at the end of an examination, a candidate considers there are circumstances that need to be taken into account in assessing their performance, they should speak to the Invigilator immediately or inform Customer Service within three working days of the examination for paper based examinations or within the first working day of the examination, preferably by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, for online examinations.
The grounds acceptable for special consideration include:
- An illness or a special need at the time of the examination (e.g. vomiting or fainting)
- An irregularity relating to the examination environment (e.g. excessive noise or disruption).
It is expected that candidates will have made use of all available support services (i.e. where a special need is known about prior to the examination) before making a request for special consideration.
36. The CII is committed to providing fair and transparent processes. The appeals procedure is intended for consideration of circumstances that materially affected a candidate’s performance in an assessment where all other available routes for enquiries have been exhausted.
Grounds for an appeal
There are two main grounds for appeal:
1. Extenuating circumstances that were not revealed for valid reasons prior to receipt of the result notification;
2. Alternative routes for enquiries have been exhausted.
Circumstances not accepted as grounds for an appeal
a) Claims that work was under-marked;
b) Claims of being unaware of, or not understanding the examination rules and regulations;
c) Questioning professional or academic judgment;
d) An appeal against a decision made by the CII Disciplinary Committee.
A fee is payable for this service and is refundable if the appeal is successful. Applications are to be made in writing to the Head of Secretariat (Secretary of the Examination Appeal Panel) at the following address:
The Chartered Insurance Institute,
42-48 High Road,
tel: +44 (0)20 8989 8464
fax: +44 (0)20 8530 3052
Additional Terms and Conditions
37. Please note there are additional terms and conditions which apply to candidates entering for exams with the CII, these are detailed within the “Important Notes to Exams” brochure, a copy of which is available in the downloads section below, at www.cii.co.uk/notestoexams and is available in each qualification section of the website. These additional terms and conditions relate in the main to entering for and sitting exams and subsequent issue of exam results. Please note that in entering for any examination with the CII you agree to be bound by these additional terms and conditions.